The Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Adv T.M Masutha, MP, invites institutions, civil society organisations and individuals to nominate two (2) candidates for appointment to serve in the Equality Review Committee (ERC) in terms of section 32(d) and (e) of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act, 2000 (Act No. 4 of 2000) (the Equality Act). The ERC is a statutory body established in terms of section 32 of the Equality Act.
Section 32 of the Equality Act requires the Minister, by notice in the Gazette, to establish an ERC and appoint members, consisting of:
- A senior judicial officer with appropriate qualifications;
- the Chairperson of the South African Human Rights Commission;
- the Chairperson of the Commission on Gender Equality;
- representative of the civil society;
- an expert in the field of human rights, especially the right to equality;
- a member of the National Assembly; and
- a member of the National Council of Provinces.
In terms of section 33 of the Equality Act, the ERC advises the Minister responsible for Justice and Constitutional Development about:
- The operation of the Equality Act; and
- the laws that impact on equality.
The ERC must also:
- Submit regular reports to the Minister on the operation of the Equality Act, addressing whether the objectives of the Equality Act and the Constitution have been achieved; and
- Make recommendations on any necessary amendments to the Equality Act to improve its operation.
Persons nominated must possess suitable qualifications and expertise in the fields of, among others:
- Human rights, particularly the right to equality;
- Policy development;
- Civil and constitutional litigation;
- Legal research; or
- Any other related expertise or qualifications.
The two nominations must be categorised as follows:
- Separate nominations for representative of the civil society, in terms of section 32(d) of the Equality Act; and
- Separate nominations for an expert in the field of human rights, especially the right to equality, in terms of section 32(e) of the Equality Act.
Written nominations must contain the following:
- Full names and address of the institution or individual making the nomination;
- One page motivation letter why the nominee should be appointed;
- The nominee’s written and signed acceptance of the nomination; and
- The detailed Curriculum Vitae of the nominee which provides, amongst others, full names, contact details of the nominee such as telephone numbers, fax number, email address, academic qualifications, employment record, etc.
Nominations must be addressed to:
Secretariat of the Equality Review Committee
Department of Justice and Constitutional Development
Private Bag X81
Or hand delivery at:
329 Pretorius Street
First Floor, Pretoria
Tel: 012 357 8813 / 8866
The closing date for the submission of nominations is Monday, 12 March 2018.
For more about the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, refer to www.justice.gov.za.