Chief Financial Officer
The Foundation for Human Rights (FHR) is a grant making institution supporting civil society organisations in South Africa and the region that implement programmes which promote and protect human rights.
FHR are looking to appoint a CFO to be responsible for all the financial affairs of FHR including Donor Funds, for developing a financial and operational strategy, on-going development and monitoring of systems and reporting of accurate financial results.
The key performance areas for the CFO will include:
- Strategize, direct and manage all financial affairs for FHR including Donor Funds.
- Developing a financial and operational strategy, including metrics tied to that strategy,
- On-going development and monitoring of systems and reporting of accurate financial results
- Overseeing finance budgeting, cash flow and accounting.
- Ensure the development of and adherence to financial policies and procedures, and reporting in compliance with regulatory, donor and internal governance and Board financial requirements.
- Oversee the development and implementation of financial aspects of the FHR grant management system and reporting.
- Develop risk management strategies for the organisation,
- Liaise with relevant external financial institutions and regulators.
- Demonstrate performance against generic management objectives
- Unqualified audits
- Other activities as required
- Preferable: CA (SA) or B. Comm. (Hons.) with completed articles plus relevant work experience
- Essential: B. Comm., majoring in accounting plus completed articles plus relevant work experience
The knowledge and skills required includes:
- Experience of finance in the NGO/CBO sector and working with donors
- At least 12 years relevant working experience and at least 6 years in a financial management position
- Demonstrated experience of working in an environment with a variety of stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel spreadsheets
- Advanced skills in Pastel Evolution
- Extensive knowledge of financial management and finance in the development and NGO sectors
- Advanced knowledge of budgeting
- Knowledge of EU and SA Government reporting requirements
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills, including developing workplans and schedules
- Knowledge of auditing procedures
- Knowledge of financial models and tools
- Sound knowledge of risk management
- Strategic thinker
- Good Business acumen
- Good leadership versatility
- Strong attention to detail
The closing date for submission of applications is 9 March 2014.
Preference will be given to female applicants
Please submit your CV, three references and a one page motivation letter to
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.