- South African Constitution
- Refugees Act (130 of 1998)
- Immigration Act (13 of 2002)
- Promotion of Administrative Justice Act (3 of 2000)
- The Children's Act 2005 – This requires that unaccompanied minors, even if undocumented or illegally in the country, be placed in temporary places of safety – not detention centres.
International and Regional Law
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees – Convention and Protocol Relating to Status of Refugees
- Organisation of African Unity – Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugees